- Information we collect
- Legal basis processing
- Use of personal data
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data protection rights?
- Age restrictions
- Privacy policies of other websites
- Retention Policy
- How to contact us
1. Information We Collect
We collect the following personal data for the purpose of providing access to our website:
- Email Address: We collect your email address to verify your account’s legitimacy and for login purposes. We may also use it for communication with you.
- IP Address: We collect your IP address for security and monitoring purposes.
Personal information is defined as information relating to natural persons who:
- can be identified or who are identifiable, directly from the information in question; or
- who can be indirectly identified from that information in combination with other information.
Information automatically collected
Some information — such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or browser and device characteristics — is collected automatically when you visit the website.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the website. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use Lemmy.zip, and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of Lemmy.zip.
The information we automatically collect includes:
-Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage, and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Services and which we record in log files. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type, and settings and information about your activity in the Services (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches, and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called “crash dumps”), and hardware settings).
We do not process any sensitive information.
All personal information that you provide to us must be true, complete, and accurate, and you must notify us of any changes to such personal information.
2. Legal Basis for Processing
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requires us to explain the valid legal basis we rely on in order to process your personal information. As such, we may rely on the following to process your personal information:
- Consent. We may process your information if you have given us permission (consent) to use your personal information for a specific purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time.
- Legal Obligations. We may process your information where we believe it is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations, such as to cooperate with a law enforcement body or regulatory agency, exercise or defend our legal rights, or disclose your information as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Vital Interests. We may process your information where we believe it is necessary to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of a third party, such as situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person.
For users located in Canada:
We may process your information if you have given us specific permission (i.e., express consent) to use your personal information for a specific purpose, or in situations where your permission can be inferred (i.e., implied consent). You can withdraw your consent at any time.
In some exceptional cases, we may be legally permitted under applicable law to process your information without your consent, including, for example:
- If collection is clearly in the interests of an individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way
- For investigations and fraud detection and prevention
- For business transactions provided certain conditions are met
- If it is contained in a witness statement and the collection is necessary to assess, process, or settle an insurance claim
- For identifying injured, ill, or deceased persons and communicating with next of kin
- If we have reasonable grounds to believe an individual has been, is, or may be victim of financial abuse
- If it is reasonable to expect collection and use with consent would compromise the availability or the accuracy of the information and the collection is reasonable for purposes related to investigating a breach of an agreement or a contravention of the laws of Canada or a province
- If disclosure is required to comply with a subpoena, warrant, court order, or rules of the court relating to the production of records
- If it was produced by an individual in the course of their employment, business, or profession and the collection is consistent with the purposes for which the information was produced
- If the collection is solely for journalistic, artistic, or literary purposes
- If the information is publicly available and is specified by the regulations
3. Use of personal data
You directly provide Lemmy.zip with all of the data we collect. We collect data and process data when you:
- Register online
- Voluntarily post a message, create a community or interact with a community on our website or via email.
- Use or view our website via your browser’s cookies.
We use your email address for the following purposes:
- Account Verification: To verify the legitimacy of your account.
- Login: To facilitate your login to our website.
- Communication: To contact you regarding your account or related matters.
We do not share your personal data with third parties. However, please note that any content you post on our website is publicly available. Lemmy.zip will share data with other instances as part of the federation process. While this data we share is not intended to be personal identifying information, anything you post on this instance will be federated across the network and may be stored by other servers, so please be careful not to share any personal information that you do not wish to become shared through federation.
Lemmy.zip may also receive your data indirectly from other Lemmy instances. While the data we collect is not intended to be personal identifying information, anything you post on a federated instance will be stored on Lemmy.zips server(s) in line with our data retention policy.
Harm to Life
We may also process a user’s data where we believe there is harm to life. This could include alerting local or foreign emergency services and law enforcement agencies.
4. How do we store your data?
We take the security of your data seriously and have implemented various measures to safeguard your information. Some common security practices we employ include:
- Password Encryption: Your passwords are securely hashed and encrypted using industry-standard methods. This ensures that even in the event of a breach, your password remains confidential.
- Secure Data Storage: Our databases are hosted on secure servers with restricted access. They are protected by advanced firewall and intrusion detection systems to prevent unauthorized access.
- Regular Security Audits: We conduct regular security audits and assessments to identify and mitigate potential vulnerabilities in our systems.
- Data Backup: We maintain regular data backups to ensure the integrity and availability of your information.
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL): We use SSL encryption to protect data transmitted between your device and our servers. You can verify this by checking for the padlock icon in your browser’s address bar.
Please note that while we employ these security measures, no system can be completely foolproof. We continuously monitor and improve our security practices to adapt to evolving threats and ensure the highest level of protection for your data.
5. What are your data protection rights?
Lemmy.zip would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request Lemmy.zip provides copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that Lemmy.zip correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request Lemmy.zip to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that Lemmy.zip erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that Lemmy.zip restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to Lemmy.zip’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that Lemmy.zip transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please email us at: [email protected]
6. Age restriction
Users must be at least 13 years old to sign up for our website. By using our services, you confirm that you meet this age requirement.
7. Privacy policies of other websites
8. Retention Policy
We will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting, or other legal requirements). No purpose in this notice will require us keeping your personal information for longer than the period of time in which users have an account with us.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize such information, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
10. How to contact us
Email us at: [email protected]